Last Updated: – 21st May 2019
In this article, I am listing the best credit card for fuel in India in terms of reward points or cashback.
Jump to Section
- Best Credit Card for Fuel in India (for all fuel outlets)
- Best Credit Card for Fuel for HPCL Outlets
- Best Credit Card for Fuel at Bharat Petroleum Outlets
- Best Credit card for Fuel for Indian Oil Petrol Spends
- Other Credit Card for Getting Fuel Benefits
- Credit Cards for Fuel Surcharge Waiver
Standard chartered super value titanium credit card offers 5% cashback on fuel. You can use the credit card at any fuel station across India to fill the petrol tank.
You need a minimum transaction of Rs 750 to get the cashback. You can get maximum cashback of Rs 100 per transaction and Rs 200 per month.
This way you can save up to Rs 2400 every year on your fuel spends
- 5% cashback on the phone bill
- 5% cashback on utility bill spends
Annual Fee – Rs 750 (waived on spending Rs 60,000 in the year)
You would also get 100% one-time cashback (up to INR 1500) on fuel spends within 90 days of approval.
SC Platinum rewards credit card offers 5 reward points on fuel spend. There is no monthly cap on the rewards points on the fuel.
The redemption value of 5 rewards points would be Rs 1.25, a saving of 0.80%.
Platinum card is best if you are a first-time credit card applicant and looking for fuel benefit. The approval rate is also good as compared to other cards on the list.
Annual fees or joining fees
Rs 250 joining fees but waived off with the first transaction within 90 days
Next year annual fees will be waived off on spending Rs. 30,000 in the first year
Benefits of SC platinum rewards credit card
- 5 reward points on fuel
- 5 reward points for on dining
- 1 reward point on all other spends
- Just on fuel – Rs. 1917.
- For annual expenses of 1,00,000 – Rs. 4417
HDFC Bharat credit card offers 5% cashback on the fuel spends on all fuel station. So, you can freely use the credit card at fuel station and earn the cashback.
Along with above, you will also get 1% fuel surcharge waiver off fuel transactions. Means a total saving of 6%.
Annual Fee – Rs 500 (spend 20,000 and get next year fee waiver)
- 5% cashback on rail bookings through IRCTC, bill pay, grocery and recharges
- Additionally enjoy 5% CashBack for all EasyEMI, PayZapp and SmartBUY transactions using the card (Maxi. Rs 150 per month)
The biggest drawback of Bharat credit card is, the maximum cashback capped per month is Rs 150 (combined on fuel, IRCTC and bill payment). This make the credit card ineffective. You would also not get any reward points on other purchases.
Best Credit Card for Fuel for HPCL Outlets
You will get 2.5% cashback on fuel purchase at the HPCL pumps (maximum cashback Rs 100 per month) along with 1% fuel surcharge waiver as well.
You will also earn 6 payback points per Rs 100 spent on fuel at HPCL pumps.
If you calculate the total benefit you would end up with 5% saving.
2.5% cashback + 1 % surcharge waiver + 1.5 % payback (redemption value of points) = 5%
Annual Fee – Rs 199 (get a waiver on spending Rs 50,000 per year)
- 2 PAYBACK Points on all other retail spends.
- Get INR 100 off on movie tickets on www.bookmyshow.com, twice each month
- Minimum 15% savings at over 800 leading restaurants across cities in India
The major drawback, all the benefits are applicable only on HPCL petrol pumps.
Best Credit Card for Fuel at Bharat Petroleum Outlets
SBI has collaboration with Bharat Petroleum for SBI BPCL credit card.
The credit card offers 13X reward points per Rs 100 on fuel purchases at BPCL petrol pumps. The 13X reward points are equivalent to 3.25% of saving.
You will get 1% fuel surcharge waiver as well. This way, you can save up to 4.25% saving on your fuel spends.
Annual fee – 499 ( get next year waiver on spending Rs 50,000 in a year)
- Just on fuel – Rs. 1955.
- For annual expenses of 1,00,000 – Rs. 3129
- 5 reward points on every Rs. 100 spent at groceries, departmental stores, movies & dining
- 5 reward points per Rs. 100 on standing instructions of utility bills payments.
- Get 1 Reward Point for every Rs. 100 spent on non-fuel retail purchases
- Apply online and get 250 Bookmyshow voucher
- Get 2,000 activation bonus reward points
Best suitable for, if you refill your fuel tank at BPCL outlets.
Citibank Indian Oil credit card offers 4 Turbo points on Rs.150 of fuel purchases at IndianOil outlets.
You will also get 1% Full fuel surcharge waiver on your fuel spends. The reward points can be redeemed for fuel, 1 Turbo point = Rs.1 of free fuel
You would get the maximum reward value equal to 3.76% money on your fuel spends
4 points give you saving of 2.67% (4/150*100) + 1% saving on fuel surcharge.
Annual Fee – Rs 1000 (get a waiver on spending Rs.30,000 per year)
250 Turbo Points on your first spend within 30 days of
- Just on fuel – Rs. 1730.
- For annual expenses of 1,00,000 – Rs. 3249
- Get 2 Turbo Points on Rs.150 at grocery and supermarkets
- 1 Turbo Point on Rs.150 on other spends
Other Credit Card for Getting Fuel Benefits
You can use a trick to get the maximum benefit on fuel spends with American Express Membership Rewards card.
Membership reward is one of those rare credit cards those offer reward points on adding money to wallets like Paytm, Amazon Pay and Freecharge.
If you use these wallets to make fuel payment you can save up to 10% on your fuel spends.
The card gives 1,000 Bonus Rewards Points worth Rs 400 every month by doing 4 transactions of 1000 rupees. Add money for 4 times into your wallet and then use that money to make the payment.
- Earn 1 Membership Rewards Point for every1 Rs. 50 spent except for spend at Fuel, Insurance, Utilities, and Cash Transactions
- Fuel surcharge waiver
- Welcome Gift of 4,000 Bonus Membership Rewards® Points
- Get 5000 reward points on first renewal
- 20% off every time you dine at select restaurant partners.
First Year – 1000
Second Year onwards – 4500 (spend Rs 1,50,000 and get next year renewal fee waiver. If you spend Rs.90,000 to Rs.1,49,999, get 50% waived off)
There are some credit cards which offers only 1% fuel surcharge waiver.
- ICICI Platinum
- AMEX Rewards
- Kotak Royal Signature
- Yes Preferred Exclusive
- SBI Prime
- IndusInd Iconia American Express
- HDFC Regalia
- SBI Elite
- ICICI Sapphiro
- Amex Travel Platinum
- Yes Bank Preferred
- Ola SBI Money Credit card
If you are still confused which credit card you should choose, let me help you.
In case you are applying for the first time you should apply for SC Platinum Rewards credit card. If you already have a credit card and want a credit card especially for fuel purpose then go with SC Super value titanium credit card, because you can use this credit card at any fuel station.