Last updated – 08.01.2021
Motilal Oswal provides award-winning research advice and based on their top-class advice, they cover around 95% of market capitalization.
They have more than 2200 business locations and a larger 10 lakh customer base. Motilal Oswal put sincere efforts on research by spending 10% revenue on research.
Let’s have a look at other features of Motilal Oswal in our review
Motilal Oswal Brokerage Charges
Motilal Oswal charges two types of brokerage on stock purchases – Intraday Charges and Delivery Charges.
- For each intraday transaction, the brokerage is 0.05% of the executed order.
- For stock delivery, the amount is 0.5% of the executed order.
Let’s have a look on different charges that Motilal Oswal charges
|Equity Delivery||0.50% per executed order|
|Equity Intraday Trading||0.05% per leg|
|Equity Options||Rs. 75/lot|
|Equity Futures||0.05% per leg|
|Currency Options||0.04% per leg|
|Commodity F&O||0.05% per leg|
Motilal Oswal Margin Provided
Motilal Oswal offers 20x margin on intraday trades and 4x margin in Delivery. But in delivery, you have to pay a 25% upfront margin for select stocks.
They also provide up to 100% margin in derivatives against securities without interest.
However, as per SEBI’s new guidelines, no broker can give a high amount of leverage to their customers.
Motilal Oswal Annual Charges
- Motilal Oswal Account Opening Charges – Zero
- Demat Annual Maintenance charges – Rs. 400
Motilal Oswal Demat & Trading Account Features
- Best in class investment advice
- High-end super fast trading platforms
- New generation Robo Advisory
- Smartwatch app for tech-savvy Millenials
- Invest in mutual funds, bonds, IPOs right from a single place
Benefits of Motilal Oswal Demat and Trading Account
Motilal Oswal is highly beneficial for people who want deep readymade research of the market along with wealth management services.
Motilal Oswal is currently offering Rs.2500/- cashback on brokerage above Rs.10,000/- generated in the first 3 months of account activation.
Other benefits are
- Get a goal-based advice as per your risk appetitive. Motilal Oswal provides the best research-based advice.
- Provides fast trading platforms with a high refresh rate to avoid quick market fluctuations.
- You can also invest using ACE (Advice On Combination Of Equities), a Robo Advisory to invest in growth-oriented stocks.
- You can also invest in mutual funds and bonds through Motilal Oswal
Cons of Motilal Oswal Demat & Trading Account
- High brokerage on trading and delivery.
- Tailor-made plans are also expensive.
- No direct investment in mutual funds, so you have to pay a commission.
- Regular stock market advisory calls and messages can be annoying to some people.
Check detailed comparison between Motilal Oswal vs Zerodha
Motilal Oswal Trading Platforms
#1. MO Investor Review
MO Investor is a financial fitness platform for value investors. MO investor provides you a single view of your financial health from its extensive Portfolio Snapshot. It provides you goal-based advisory whether you want to invest in stocks or mutual funds.
MO Invest provides personalized insights on your portfolio along with advice on alternatives that can improve your financial well-being.
Benefits of MO Investor
- Get complete information about the company searched by you on Quote Page
- On the Mutual Fund page, you get a snapshot of your holdings, SIPs & track record.
- Set and manage alerts on your favorite stocks
- Algo based investment strategies
- 24*7 Portfolio Restructure that provides you with the right asset allocation
- Optimized place order page for quick order placement
- Execute bulk orders in one go
- You can also view multiple types of charts with intervals starting from 1 minute to 5 years with 9 technical indicators.
- MO genie, a chatbot to handle instant queries
#2. MO Trader Review
MO Trader is a robust trading platform that provides realtime charts with historical records. MO trader’s market screeners help you spot the trends. You can select trending stock in a particular category.
Benefits of MO Trader
- Set and manage alerts under MyAlert option.
- Single view snapshot of your orders, positions, and limits
- 20 screeners to identify the stocks which suit your strategies
- Bulk orders in one list and edit price & no. of stocks from saved orders and delete any unwanted orders from the list
- Get details from historical charts, in-depth market details, latest news, and recommendations.
- Robo-advisory products like Trade guide signal, Option Writer, Option Decoder
#3. MO Desktop (Desktop)
MO desktop is a super-fast desktop application that allows you trading at a 1-second refresh rate. You can enjoy high-speed trading across all asset classes ranging from equities, derivatives, commodities, currencies.
You can also invest in Mutual Funds, Bonds & IPO ‘s from Desktop.
Benefits of Desktop
- Get solid research-based recommendations, as well as auto-generated buy/sell ideas.
- Desktop application provides more than 40 technical indicators in a single scrip.
- Get more than 30,000 research reports across all asset classes in a single click
- Get In-depth research reports across 260+ companies & 21+ sectors in a single click.
- Portfolio restructuring report helps you review and restructure your portfolio instantly.
- Option Writer does Instant analysis and tells you whether to write options or not
#4. MO Smartwatch (Smartwatch)
India ‘s first SmartWatch App to let you stay updated regarding new information related to your investments. Smartwatch app provides notifications and alerts on the latest market statistics, positions/limits updates.
App also provides you with real-time trading alerts when you are on the move.
Benefits of Smartwatch App
- Get instant notifications on all important market updates
- Get instant updates on global indices
- Get information about market top gainers & losers
- Check your portfolio net worth across asset classes
- Get Position updates
- Check your margin in both cash & commodities.
Comparison Between Motilal Oswal, Zerodha and Upstox
|Brokerage||Intraday – 0.05% per leg|
Delivery – 0.50% per order
Only one brokerage for all customers – Flat Rs. 20/order or 0.03% (whichever is lower)
|Basic Plan – Rs. 20/order or 0.05% (whichever is lower)|
Priority plan – Rs. 30/trade (monthly charges extra)
|Research and Strategy||Award-winning research and advisory platform. But you can’t create and test your own strategies.||Zerodha’s Streak platform allows you to deploy trading strategies without any coding skills.||Developers can create trading apps but coding skills required|
|Margin Leverage||Up to 20x intraday margin||Up to 8x leverage for intraday trading||Up to 20x for Priority plan users.|
|Mutual Funds Investment||Motilal Oswal offers regular funds investments.||Zerodha offers direct mutual funds investment.||Upstox offers regular mutual funds investment.|
|Bonds/Debenture Investment||You can invest in Bonds and debentures online.||You can invest in Bonds and debentures online.||No such facility.|
|IPO||You can in IPO right from your app.||Facility to invest in IPO with UPI||IPO investments not available.|
|Special 3-in-1 Account||Doesn’t offer 3 in 1 account||IDBI bank account holders can get the 3-in-1 account but a very complex procedure to follow.||Easy online 3-in-1 account opening process (anyone can apply).|
|Customer Service||Great Customer Service||Good Customer Service||Average Customer Service|
You would also like to read – Zerodha vs Upstox
Conclusion (Final Review)
You can opt for Motilal Oswal if you a new investor and you want a piece of trusted research advice for your investments.
But if you trust your own research and don’t like to pay a hefty amount on brokerage then Motilal Oswal is not for you, you must find any discount broker like Zerodha.