Last Updated: 03 Feb, 2022
Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12-digit number that the Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) provides to an employee. UAN of an employee remains the same throughout life irrespective of the number of jobs he/she changes. This UAN becomes the identity of the member until his retirement.
Every time an employee switches job, EPFO allots a new member identification number (ID), which will be linked to the UAN. You can get a new member ID by submitting the UAN to the new employer. Once the member ID is created, it gets linked to the UAN of the employee.
Features and Benefits of UAN
The main purpose of the EPF account is to encourage employees to save & invest money for future needs like education of the child, marriage and of course retirement purpose. UAN has simplified the whole process. Let’s have a look at the features and benefits of UAN.
Important features of UAN
- A unique number to track everything regarding EPF like amount saved despite the number of jobs changed.
- Reduced EPF organization’s burden of employee’s verification from companies and employers.
- EPFO can now extract the bank account details and KYC of the member without any dependency on employers.
- More transparency in the EPF processes whether its employee or employer contribution or money withdrawal.
- Reduction in untimely or illegal EPF withdrawals
- EPFO can track multiple job switches of employee
Benefits of UAN to employees
- UAN acts as a primary source as every new PF account (from new job) is linked to the UAN.
- Easy PF money disbursal (full or partial) through the online portal using UAN.
- You can use UAN to get the PF statement for any purpose (like Visa, loans) instantly.
- Tracking with UAN ensures that an employer cannot withhold the PF money of their employees.
- No need for new employers to validate your profile (if UAN is KYC-verified).
Have you got your UAN? If not, then before reaching to your employer, first check whether you have been allotted UAN or not by EPFO.
How to know your UAN Status?
Step 1: Start with clicking on the link
Step 2: In the right corner you will get the link – ‘Know your UAN Status’
Step 3: Fill out the required details in the form and click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- You will receive an Authorization PIN on your registered mobile number. A new page open containing a box to fill that PIN.
- Type the authorization PIN in the box & click on “SUBMIT”.
- You will get a message that your verification process has been successful along with the member’s credentials.
After a successful verification, you will receive your UAN on your registered mobile phone. Now, you can set up the security password to login to your UAN Member Portal.
How to Get UAN from your Employer?
You can also approach your HR or concerned dealing person in your company and ask him to provide your EPF UAN.
- Once you get UAN from your employer you can go to EPF UAN login. Click on forget password.
- Enter your UAN number, Captcha and click on submit.
Now you will be able to add a new password to your UAN account.
Note – You have to complete the process faster as the password change session expires in 299 seconds.
How to activate your UAN – Edit & Upload KYC Details?
Once you have got your UAN, the next step is to activate it. You have to upload your documents like Aadhar card, PAN card, Driving license, Passport. So keep the scanned images available before starting the UAN Activation process.
- Login into EPF UAN login.
- After login, you will find the option of “Edit your KYC”.
- Fill the details and upload the required documents.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
How to Download your UAN Card?
- Login to here and enter your username (UAN) and password.
- Go to view menu and click on ‘UAN CARD’.
- Click on Download button.
- Your card will look like this –
I have written a detailed article to answer all the major questions related to EPF. You can read here – Top EPF questions answered.
In case you need any help or have any query at department level, you may contact:
Helpdesk Number: 1800 118 005
Helpdesk Email Id: [email protected]
That’s all about Universal Account Number (UAN) of EPF contributor employee. If you have anything that you think I have missed, let me know in the comments. I will update the information as soon as possible.