Updated on – 12 Jan 2021
Zerodha and Sharekhan are both top brokers in India. Zerodha offers flat fee brokerage while Sharekhan is a full-service broker.
If you are a day trader you have to pay a minimum of Rs. 20 per order with zerodha, which is very low when compared to the traditional brokers.
Sharekhan is a pioneer in the financial sector and one of the first online trading platforms in India.
Sharekhan is famous for its robust technology products and customer relationship management with vast experience of 20 years in the market.
Zerodha vs Sharekhan
|Flat Rs. 20/order or 0.03% (whichever is lower.)||Leg 1 – 0.10%|
Leg 2 – 0.02%
|Free equity delivery||0.50% charges on delivery|
|F & O fee is flat Rs. 20/order or 0.03% (whichever is lower.)||F & O fee is Rs. 100 or 2.5% (whichever is higher)|
|You can get a 3-in-1 account facility if you have a savings account in IDBI Bank.||No 3-in-1 account facility|
|Zerodha offers direct mutual funds investment.||Sharekhan offers regular mutual funds investment.|
Let’s have a detailed review of Zerodha and Sharekhan for a better understanding of two leading brokers of India.
Zerodha Demat & Trading Account Review
Zerodha charge a flat fee of Rs. 20 per order instead of paying the percentage amount of your order.
You can save a good amount on brokerage if you trade high volumes.
Let me show you the comparison of both scenarios; Flat Fee vs. Percentage Brokerage.
If you do 10 trades (20 trades including buying & selling) of Rs. 10,00,000 every month, you will have to pay charges as below:
Brokerage charges: 0.55% (Includes both buying & selling)
Rs.10,00,000 * 0.55% = Rs. 5,500
One year cost will be Rs. 5,500*12 = Rs. 66,000
Annual brokerage cost of Rs. 66,000 is huge.
Brokerage charges:- Rs. 20/order or (0.01% whichever is lower)
20 trades * Rs. 20 = Rs. 400
One year’s cost will be Rs. 400 * 12 = Rs. 4,800.
If you trade for Rs. 10,00,000 in 20 trades, you will have to pay Rs. 4,800 only.
Now you know the difference.
Zerodha Brokerage Charges
For intraday, trading charges are Flat Rs. 20 or 0.01%, whichever is lower.
Intraday trading includes equities, currency, and commodity trading.
|Equity Intraday Trading||Rs. 20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower)|
|Equity Options||Flat Rs. 20 per executed order|
|Equity Futures||Rs. 20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower)|
|Currency Options||Rs. 20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower)|
|Commodity F&O||Rs. 20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower)|
Zerodha Margin Provided
Zerodha offers margin on 3 different products; MIS, Bracket, and Cover Orders.
The margin provided on all products is 3-12.5% that is up to 8x depending on the script.
For Intraday orders in F&O –
- For Index, the margin required is 35%.
- For Stocks, the margin required is 45%.
- For Commodities & Currency, it is 50%.
As per SEBI’s new guidelines, no broker can give a high amount of leverage to their customers.
Zerodha Account opening charges
Account opening charges for Trading & Demat account is Rs. 200 and for commodity account is Rs. 100. Free for the first year.
Zerodha’s Annual Maintenance Charge is Rs. 300 every quarter.
Zerodha Trading Platforms
Kite is a fast & intuitively designed trading platform that allows you to trade equities, F&O, commodities, and currency. You receive updated information with live streaming of the latest market trends without any lag.
You can search across 90,000+ stocks across multiple exchanges instantly. You get multiple MarketWatch and live market depths up to level-3.
Kite’s level-3 data gives you deeper insights into market liquidity and allows you to set trading strategies accordingly.
You get 100+ indicators with an advanced charting interface.
#2. Kite Connect
Kite Connect is a tool to create powerful trading platforms using simple HTTP/JSON APIs.
You can build your own investment app using these APIs and showcase that to Zerodha’s client base. Coin, SmallCase, and Streak are examples of investment/trading apps built over Kite Connect.
SmallCase allows you to build a diversified, low-cost portfolio for long-term investment purposes. A small case diversifies your portfolio with multiple stocks and protects you against market volatility of the market.
You have to pay fees only when you transact for mutual funds without paying any maintenance fee. You can invest in stocks and hold them in your account.
You can also invest in SIPs for regular & less risky investments if you are a newbie.
Also check – Complete Zerodha review
Streak is the world’s first platform for traders to create, backtest, and deploy trading strategies without any coding skills.
You can track real-time market trends, get alerts, and manage positions.
Streak work in 3 steps:
1. Create – You can create trading strategies by typing technical indicators, selecting stocks you want to trade, and targeting profit percentage.
2. Backtest – Backtesting allows a trader to simulate a strategy using previous years’ data to analyze risk and profitability before putting actual money at risk.
3. Deploy – Once you have done backtesting, you can deploy that without any need to track the stock manually.
Zerodha has collaborated with Sensibull to provide customers with the ‘Options Trading’ platform. You can trade Nifty Options, Bank Nifty Options, Stock Options, and many more.
You get expert advice in real-time on Whatsapp.
You can also learn trading with video lessons and practice virtually without investing real money.
Sensibull has three plans; Free, Lite, and Pro.
Golden Pi is India’s first online platform to invest in bonds and debentures. You can invest in bonds & debentures to get fixed returns on your investments.
3 steps to start investing using GoldenPi-
- Choose bonds that match your goals
- Complete KYC online
- Make the payment online and receive bonds in your Demat account.
Zerodha is best for both newcomers as well as professional traders. You can get free equity delivery & low-cost trading.
Professional traders can leverage not only the flat fee structure but they can also get detailed market analysis with different tools to create trading strategies.
If you want to invest in mutual funds, you can invest in mutual funds directly and save money there as well.
Another benefit of Zerodha is that you can also apply for IPOs using UPI (BHIM).
- Free equity delivery
- Flat brokerage is cost-effective for a regular trader
- In-depth reports and vast historical data for better analysis
- Enable user to invest directly in mutual funds
- Ease of creating multiple trading strategies & alerts
- Better customer support, they even quickly respond to Google play reviews.
- Server slows down during peak hours
- Limited bank acceptance for NRI account
Also Read – How to open Zerodha Account.
Sharekhan Demat Account
Sharekhan was founded in the year 2000 and became a part of leading financial venture BNP Paribas since November 2016.
Sharekhan provides different financial services to its customers including investment solutions, mutual fund distribution, currency trading, IPO financing, and portfolio management.
Sharekhan has a wide network with over 2600 outlets in 575+ cities and executes more than 400,000 trades daily.
Sharekhan Brokerage Charges
Sharekhan charges two types of brokerage on stock purchases – Intraday Charges and Delivery Charges.
- For each intraday transaction, the brokerage is 3 paise per 1 Rupee.
- For stock delivery, the amount is 30 paise per 1 Rupee.
Let’s have a look on different charges that Sherkhan charge-
|Equity Delivery||0.50% per executed order|
|Equity Intraday Trading||Leg 1 – 0.10%*|
Leg 2 – 0.02%*
|Equity Options||Rs. 100 or 2.5% per executed order (whichever is higher)|
|Equity Futures||Leg 1 – 0.10%*Leg 2 – 0.02%*|
|Currency Options||Rs. 100 or 2.5% per executed order (whichever is higher)|
|Commodity F&O||Rs. 100 or 2.5% per executed order (whichever is higher)|
*Leg term is used in day trading. Leg 1 is the first position in intraday and Leg 2 is the second position.
For example, if you are buying a share in intraday trading, that will be your Leg 1 and when you will sell that share before the day closes, that will be your Leg 2 and vice versa.
Sharekhan Margin Provided
Sharekhan offers a margin of 50% to 90% of securities. Tenure of margin varies from 1 month to a maximum of 12 months. You have to pay interest charges in the range of 9% to 12%.
The minimum margin amount is Rs. 1,00,000.
However, as per SEBI’s new guidelines, no broker can give a high amount of leverage to their customers.
Sharekhan Account opening charges
Sharekhan doesn’t charge on account opening of Demat and trading account. However Annual Maintenance charges for the Demat account are Rs. 400.
Sharekhan Trading Platforms
Sharekhan offers 5 different trading platforms for high-quality trading experience.
#1. Sharekhan Website
You can use Sharekhan’s website for hassle-free investing or trading experience. Sharekhan website offers new features products and intuitive research to help you make informed investment decisions.
Different features you get on Sharekhan’s website-
You can connect with critical information and detailed data at a single place. You can get an in-depth view of your investments and track them from the dashboard.
It’s a new innovative tool introduced by Sharekhan that allows you to bulk buy stocks and track them. You can also track changes in the stock price that you have added in the cart if happens. You can also view the last 2 month’s volume chart of stocks.
Benefits of Investment Cart
- You can buy multiple stocks at once.
- Set alerts on the latest updates on your stocks.
- You can select favourite stocks and get price update alerts.
- You can monitor stocks without logging into your account.
- You can do additional research using the detailed view section.
- Connect to the relationship manager for queries.
Neo is a goal-based investment tool that suggests the right investment based on your goals and risk appetite. It is a Robo advisor that helps you in making the right investment decisions.
You can automate your financial goals with its default plans or you can customize as per your requirements.
You can invest through NEO in 3 simple steps-
1. Set a Goal – Select from pre-defined goals or personalize your own.
2. Plan with Neo – Help NEO understand your goals by answering a few questions.
3. Start Investing – Invest in the portfolio suggested by NEO in one click.
You can research through advance charts option to dig deep into the market analysis before making any decision.
#2. Sharekhan App
You can use the Sharekhan App from your Android or iPhone to invest in stocks, derivatives, and mutual funds, or do day trading on the go.
Benefits of Sharekhan App
- Latest quotes of stocks, mutual funds, derivatives, and currencies.
- Easy access to all financial data, portfolio, watchlist, mutual funds, MarketWatch, reports, IPO, indices, and market stats.
- Invest in mutual funds on the go.
- You can start, modify or even pause your SIPs anytime.
- Plan investments for your financial goals.
- Create a Watchlist of your favorite stocks, mutual funds, futures & options, and currency.
- Research deep with enhanced live charts, tracker ball, and advanced chart studies.
- Place different types of orders – Normal Order, Sell against Margin (SAM), Big Trade, Big Trade Plus, Bracket orders (BO)
- You can also learn from the Sharekhan classroom directly on your smartphone.
Tradetiger is an advanced online desktop trading platform designed for traders that provides you various charts and advanced tools for better decision making. You can also place advanced orders like bracket orders, big trades, and bulk orders.
You can also create your own shortcuts, customize screens with different charts for a personalized experience.
You also get expert recommendations and real-time news to keep you updated.
Trade Tiger is a chargeable service. Sharekhan charges Rs. 10,000 for an annual subscription of TradeTiger or you can opt for quarterly payment of Rs. 3,000 per quarter.
#4. Sharekhan Mini
Sharekhan mini is designed for users who want to trade from their mobile phones but they don’t have a high-speed internet connection.
You can access using any browser of your phone or pc and it is quite fast in loading. You can use it on android, iPhone or even windows phone or PC.
You can select a dark theme if you don’t want to drain your phone’s battery.
Other benefits are
- Single touch access to charts for scripts
- You can trade in stocks as well as invest mutual funds.
- Create multiexchange watchlist
- Live reports and research calls
- Secure fund transfer.
#5. Dial & Trade
Sharekhan offers a free telephone service that allows you to place orders via telephone.
There’s no limit on orders through a single call. You can discuss market trends with the executives and then make your decisions.
Dial & Trade Timings
- Equities and derivatives 8.30 AM to 4.30 PM
- Currency 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM
- Commodity 9.00 AM till maket closes.
Dial & Trade Contact Numbers
- 022-25752300 /022-25752900
Sharekhan is best for pro traders who want to get a robust platform and detailed research. The only flaw is its high brokerage. No doubt you get high-quality experience but you will also have to pay a big amount.
If you are okay with paying a big brokerage amount every time, you can go with Sharekhan.
- Multiple prepaid and postpaid plans to cover a wide range of customers
- Buy bulk orders in a single click.
- Dedicated trading platform for slow internet customers.
- In-depth reports and vast data for better analysis
- Enable user to invest in mutual funds and SIP
- Robo-advisor for tailor-made investments.
- Customer Relationship manager support
- Huge brokerage per order
- Plans are quite expensive
- No direct investment in mutual funds, so you have to pay commission.
Zerodha vs Sharekhan (comparison table)
Let’s have a detailed comparison of Zerodha vs Sharkhan.
|Low BrokerageOnly one brokerage for all customers – Flat Rs. 20/order or 0.01% (whichever is lower.)|
No Delivery Brokerage fee.
|High BrokerageIntraday Transaction Brokerage is 3 paise per 1 Rupee (0.03% per order). |
Delivery Brokerage is 30 paise per 1 Rupee for delivery (0.30% per order).
|Account opening charges|
Demat – Rs. 100
Commodity – Rs. 200
|No account opening charges|
|AMC – Rs. 300 per year (Pay Rs. 75 per quarter)||AMC – Rs. 400 per year|
|Largest brokerage firm in India based on the number of customers||3rd largest brokerage firm in India based on the number of customers|
|The online platform gets sluggish in peak hours at times||The robust online platform even for slow net users|
|Create trading strategies without coding skills using Streak platform||No such platform to create strategies.|
|No Robo advisory in Zerodha||Neo is the Robo advisor for Sharekhan|
|Zerodha offers direct mutual funds investment to save more money||You can invest in regular mutual funds|
|You can get a 3-in-1 account facility if you have a savings account in IDBI Bank.||No 3-in-1 account facility|
If you are a trader and want to save your money on brokerage charges, then go with Zerodha.
Share your views in the comments.