Updated: 25 March 2019
Many of our readers sought an answer of Can Account be opened without furnishing Birth Certificate of Girl Child? Or Is there any other document which can be submitted instead of Birth Certificate of Girl Child or What to do if the birth certificate does not have the name of the girl child?
Before giving answer to this question, let us first know the blueprint of the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana at Glance
1. Any Girl Child aged 10 years or less is eligible to open Sukanya Samriddhi Account either in post office or bank.
2. The account can be opened either by the parent or by the legal guardian. No other person can open account for the girl child, but depositor can be different person i.e. once account is opened by the parent, anyone can deposit amount into the account but do remember that the tax-benefit under section 80C for the deposited amount can only be claimed by the parent not by the depositor.
3. One account per girl child with a minimum deposit is Rs.1,000 per annum and maximum deposit of Rs.1.50 lakhs per annum. The deposits are to be made for 14 years from the date of opening of account and have no nexus with the age of the girl child.
4. Interest rate is flexible and shall be revised each year by the Government. For the current fiscal year i.e. 2015-16, interest rate is fixed at 9.20% p.a. (earlier 9.10% p.a.) which is compounded annually.
5. Amount deposited towards SSA, interest accrued on the deposited amount and maturity proceeds, all are tax-free i.e. SSA falls under EEE investment scheme wherein contributed amount is deductible under section 80C plus interest amount and maturity amount is tax-free.
6. The withdrawal up to 50% can be made when the girl child attains the age of 18 years and that too for the higher education or for marriage.
7. Sukanya Samriddhi Account will be matured after 21 years from the date of opening of account, not when the girl attains the age of 21 years.
Required Documents to open Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Birth Certificate of the Girl Child having Name on it.
- Identity Proof of the Parent or Legal Guardian.
- Address Proof of the Parent or Legal Guardian.
Now the question arises, what if there is no birth certificate of the girl or the birth certificate do not have the name of the girl child on it?
In absence of the Birth Certificate or any other discrepancies in the Birth Certificate of the Girl Child, the following documents can be submitted in place of the birth certificate:
- Certificate of Date of Birth from the School Headmaster; or,
- Certificate of Date of Birth from the Hospital where the Girl Child was born.
But please bear in mind that the certificate should have the name of the Girl Child as this is the only document which will make Girl Child eligible to withdraw money at the time of maturity.
In addition to the above write-up, I have already written few posts on Sukanay Samriddhi Yojana:
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account ? Fine Blueprint of the Scheme
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening Form
- 28 Banks where Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened
- Sukanya Samriddhi Calculator
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is Fully Tax-Free
- FAQs on Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Withdrawal Rules
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA) vs Public Provident Fund (PPF)
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account vs Recurring Deposits